Saturday, April 21, 2007

Setting Up a Linux Box

I spent numerous hours last week trying to recuperate my skills on setting up a Linux machine properly to run a dedicated MySQL Database for our Showcase - list of applications powered by Covalentia. The Mirror Site is now running two separate machines - one application (web server) and one MySQL Database server.

Please refer to my previous entry on how to install MySQL on a Fedora Core 4. After doing all that, I had to tweak a few things to make it work:
  • Configuring MySQL database
    • gedit /etc/my.cnf
  • Add the following line under the [mysqld] section:
    • lower_case_table_names = 1
  • Configure the Replication Slave Section, please refer to my previous entry
  • Save the file
  • Restart the MySQL Server
  • Next, configure the VNC Server so that I can access the server remotely
    • gedit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
    • Uncomment VNCSERVERS:"1:cozta"
    • Uncomment VNCSERVERARGS:"-geometry 1280x800 -depth 16
    • Save the file
    • gedit /home/cozta/.vnc/xstartup
    • Uncomment unset SESSION_MANAGER
    • Uncomment exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    • Save the file
  • Restart VNC Server
    • service vncserver restart

I think that's about it ;)

And NO, we don't host gold or moolah on any of our server. So, if you're a hacker, DO NOT try to hack them because you're not gonna get anythin'. Go play someplace else (or with somethin' else or with yourself) :)

No comments: