Saturday, April 14, 2007

Installing Firefox 2 on Fedora Core 4

Well, before I forget, I better jot down everythin' that I did today for future reference :)

Fedora Core 4 comes with Firefox 1.0.5 or lesser, I can't remember. You could upgrade this to Firefox 1.0.8 using yum install firefox, but apparently, this version doesn't support my new Covalentia Showcase page which I just uploaded. It just hanged and so I decided to install the latest version of Firefox Version 2.0.0.3. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an RPM which would definitely make my life easier. And the installation instruction at Firefox totally sucks, ie. there is NO instruction. Well, I couldn't find any.
  • Download firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz from www.firefox.com
  • Execute the followings:
    • mv firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz /usr/local
    • cd /usr/local
    • tar xzf firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz
    • mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox1
    • ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
  • Download compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm
  • Execute the followings:
    • rpm -i compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47.fc4.i386.rpm
  • Finally, close all your Firefox browsers and start a new one

And we're done!

No comments: